Spending more time at home this summer?While some restrictions are lifting, this summer many of us are still spending more time at home than we are accustomed to. Summer camps are canceled, travel
Show your house to sell fast
It's common knowledge that in order to sell your home, you must show your home. Most are also aware that your home should be kept clean and tidy for showings. There are numerous tips for creating an environment in your home that entices buyers. However, what you may not know is that how you approach showings can actually be a determining factor in how quickly you sell your home. In other words, it's important to choose the correct type of notice you require for showing your home.
Types of Notices for Showing a Home
When your home is listed on the MLS, there is a line where your realtor will select the type of notice that is required to show the house. In certain regions or price ranges, some notices are more commonly used than other. The types of notices include:
- Call first/Lockbox: With this notice, the buyer's agent calls the seller's agent to let the seller's agent and seller know he is bringing a potential buyer to the house. No appointment is necessary, and the notice can be as short as less than an hour, or several days in advance. The seller's agent gains access to the house by a key kept in a lockbox on the front porch.
- Vacant with lockbox: With this notice, the house is listed as vacant. Consequently, there is no need to notify the listing agent or seller. The buyer's agent simply gains access with the lockbox.
- Appointment with the seller's agent: With this type of notice the selling agent must be present for all showings. Sellers sometimes prefer this in the hopes that the selling agent will be able to point out features and advantages of the property that the buyer may otherwise miss.
- Appointment with Seller or Tenant: This notice requires the interested buyer to make an appointment with the seller or tenant of the home. This could mean a one-hour or a five-day notice - whatever is workable between the buyer and seller.
- 24-Hour Notice to Sell: A strictly enforced 24-hour notice must be delivered prior to a house showing. In other words, if a buyer wants to see a home at 3pm on Saturday, his agent must make the appointment by 3pm on Friday.
Ideal type of notice
Oftentimes, if a home is on the market for a long time, the showing instructions can be part of the problem. It's important to make it as easy as possible for interested parties to see your home. The 24-Hour notice may seem appealing, as it gives you time to get your home in pristine condition. However, this type of notice could cause you to miss out on some potential buyers.
There are a few instances where the 24-hour notice is appropriate. For example, if you have a tenant on the property, many leases require a 24-hour notice before showing. Alternatively, if the tenant or owner has medical or living conditions that makes it difficult to leave the property, advance notice may be necessary. However, the "Call first/lockbox" method is the generally preferred method for a quick home sale, as it makes it easier for buyers to visit your home when it is convenient for them.
From farming in Warden, WA, to living in Australia and then back to Wenatchee, Iâ€™ve always been profoundly aware of the fundamental need to help others. Whether through their financial picture or he....